From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Chock-full of vegetables, thick with kidney beans and gently seasoned with garlic and anise, this soup typifies the Portuguese way of cooking. It needs only about 30 minutes to simmer.
- 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 5 cups water
- 3 large white potatoes, (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, undrained
- 3/4 cup sliced California Ripe Olives
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook hot and sweet sausages in a Dutch oven over medium heat, breaking them up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Stir in water, potatoes, celery, zucchini, onion, tomatoes with their juices, beans, olives, garlic, aniseed and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 145 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 392 mg sodium; 240 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- November/December 2007