Sausage & Peppers Baked Ziti
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy baked ziti recipe doesn’t require any chopping and is made on the stovetop, so it is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Using whole-wheat pasta adds fiber; opt for penne if whole-wheat ziti is hard to find.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne or ziti
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen pepper and onion mix (not thawed)
- 6 ounces turkey sausage (2 large links), crumbled
- 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add frozen vegetables and sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid from the vegetables has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano and salt into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cottage cheese and the pasta. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler to brown the cheese, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 430 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 11 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 835 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Vitamin A (44% dv), Magnesium (32% dv), Calcium (27% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Iron & Potassium (24% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013