Sausage & Peppers Baked Ziti
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy baked ziti recipe doesn’t require any chopping and is made on the stovetop, so it is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Using whole-wheat pasta adds fiber; opt for penne if whole-wheat ziti is hard to find.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne or ziti
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen pepper and onion mix (not thawed)
- 6 ounces turkey sausage (2 large links), crumbled
- 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add frozen vegetables and sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid from the vegetables has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano and salt into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cottage cheese and the pasta. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler to brown the cheese, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 430 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 11 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 835 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Vitamin A (44% dv), Magnesium (32% dv), Calcium (27% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Iron & Potassium (24% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2013