Sausage & Peppers Baked Ziti
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy baked ziti recipe doesn’t require any chopping and is made on the stovetop, so it is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Using whole-wheat pasta adds fiber; opt for penne if whole-wheat ziti is hard to find.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne or ziti
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen pepper and onion mix (not thawed)
- 6 ounces turkey sausage (2 large links), crumbled
- 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add frozen vegetables and sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid from the vegetables has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano and salt into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cottage cheese and the pasta. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler to brown the cheese, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 430 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 11 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 835 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Vitamin A (44% dv), Magnesium (32% dv), Calcium (27% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Iron & Potassium (24% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013