Sausage & Peppers Baked Ziti
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy baked ziti recipe doesn’t require any chopping and is made on the stovetop, so it is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Using whole-wheat pasta adds fiber; opt for penne if whole-wheat ziti is hard to find.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne or ziti
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen pepper and onion mix (not thawed)
- 6 ounces turkey sausage (2 large links), crumbled
- 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add frozen vegetables and sausage; cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid from the vegetables has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano and salt into the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in cottage cheese and the pasta. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler to brown the cheese, 1 to 2 minutes.
Per serving: 430 calories; 10 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 48 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 11 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 835 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (85% daily value), Vitamin A (44% dv), Magnesium (32% dv), Calcium (27% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Iron & Potassium (24% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2013