I started making the spinach and mushrooms a couple of days before Christmas. When I got to the store to buy lasagna sheets, they didn't have them. So, I morphed it into a different kind of "lasagna" - layered the spinach/mushroom mixture, cheeses and sauce, but used eggplant and sauteed tofu slices in place of the pasta sheets. I am still enjoying this vegetarian dish because I made extra and froze them into portions.
Sausage, Mushroom & Spinach Lasagna
This cheesy lasagna is full of spicy Italian turkey sausage, whole-wheat noodles, mushrooms and spinach. A serving of this version has about one-third the fat and saturated fat, and only half the calories of the original. Use soy-based sausage for a hearty vegetarian variation.
26 Reviews for Sausage, Mushroom & Spinach Lasagna
This lasagna is really great. Nice to change it up from regular lasagna once in a while.
Sidenote: I thought it would be good to use this dried mushroom blend (porcinis, portobellos, morels, etc.) and I followed all the directions - soaking first, then cooking according to the recipe, but they got tough somewhere along the way. Just FYI.
I was really surprised with how well this turned out. I made it as stated except I used oven-ready pasta and added 2 cloves of garlic to the meat mixture. I didn't have a problem with the amount of sauce... maybe the other reviewer used the wrong size can of crushed tomatoes or something?Anyway, this definitely had a lot of flavor and didn't taste healthy at all!
For some reason, I really didn't have enough sauce - even threw in a can of tomato paste to stretch out the large can of crushed tomatoes. And wound up with far too much ricotta. But overall, I would make this again.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)