Sausage & Lentil Casserole
Requiring 45 minutes from start to finish, this casserole classic is one of the longer recipes in this book; however, it takes only about 10 minutes to assemble. While it bakes, you can put together a salad, or simply enjoy a glass of wine. If you want to make it vegetarian, substitute soy “sausage” for the Italian sausage and vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 link hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked frozen or fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1-quart casserole or loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, spinach, broth and oregano. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Top with cheese and bake, uncovered, until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned broth keeps up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broth in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces, stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them from drying out.
Per serving: 454 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 17 g fiber; 631 mg sodium; 590 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (200% daily value), Folate (61% dv), Iron (33% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient