Sausage & Lentil Casserole
Requiring 45 minutes from start to finish, this casserole classic is one of the longer recipes in this book; however, it takes only about 10 minutes to assemble. While it bakes, you can put together a salad, or simply enjoy a glass of wine. If you want to make it vegetarian, substitute soy “sausage” for the Italian sausage and vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 link hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked frozen or fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1-quart casserole or loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, spinach, broth and oregano. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Top with cheese and bake, uncovered, until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned broth keeps up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broth in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces, stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them from drying out.
Per serving: 454 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 17 g fiber; 631 mg sodium; 590 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (200% daily value), Folate (61% dv), Iron (33% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient