Sausage & Lentil Casserole
Requiring 45 minutes from start to finish, this casserole classic is one of the longer recipes in this book; however, it takes only about 10 minutes to assemble. While it bakes, you can put together a salad, or simply enjoy a glass of wine. If you want to make it vegetarian, substitute soy “sausage” for the Italian sausage and vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 link hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked frozen or fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1-quart casserole or loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, spinach, broth and oregano. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Top with cheese and bake, uncovered, until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned broth keeps up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broth in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces, stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them from drying out.
Per serving: 454 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 17 g fiber; 631 mg sodium; 590 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (200% daily value), Folate (61% dv), Iron (33% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient