Sausage & Lentil Casserole
Requiring 45 minutes from start to finish, this casserole classic is one of the longer recipes in this book; however, it takes only about 10 minutes to assemble. While it bakes, you can put together a salad, or simply enjoy a glass of wine. If you want to make it vegetarian, substitute soy “sausage” for the Italian sausage and vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 link hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup cooked frozen or fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1-quart casserole or loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook, stirring, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add lentils, spinach, broth and oregano. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice and pepper. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake until the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Top with cheese and bake, uncovered, until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned broth keeps up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broth in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces, stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them from drying out.
Per serving: 454 calories; 13 g fat (5 g sat, 2 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 17 g fiber; 631 mg sodium; 590 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (200% daily value), Folate (61% dv), Iron (33% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 212
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient