Thought it would be too spicy with hot sausage, but it added so much flavor! I used a large can of whole tomatoes which I broke up by hand as I added them with the juice. I didn't have Cajun seasoning so I substituted creole seasoning and a pinch of chili powder, cumin and thyme. Delicious, rich flavors for so little calories!! Ginger
To keep it simple, we've opted for just the essential ingredients in this rendition of the hearty Creole favorite: sausage, okra, rice and a little spice.
12 Reviews for Sausage Gumbo
Made this last night and it was really great! I had to get regular turkey sausage, but added some red pepper flakes and Hot Pete for some extra spice. Also used canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh, but followed the rest of the recipe exactly. It had a really nice flavor and was very filling for such few calories!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)