Sauerkraut & Sausage Casserole
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
One bite of this hearty sausage casserole recipe—full of sauerkraut, apples and kielbasa—and you’ll be transported to a tiny pub in the Alsace region of northern France. Serve with extra mustard if you like.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway or fennel seeds
- 1 large sweet-tart apple, such as Braeburn, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 10 ounces turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 1/2 cups drained sauerkraut, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in caraway (or fennel) seeds and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add apple and wine; increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until most of the wine has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in sausage, sauerkraut, vinegar, mustard and pepper. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish.
- Toss potato slices with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, butter and salt in a bowl until coated. Cover the sauerkraut mixture with tightly overlapping potato slices.
- Bake the casserole until the potato edges start to get crispy, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare Step 2 and let cool; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature; continue with Step 3 and preheat oven.
Per serving: 273 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 26 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 694 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Potassium (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012