Saucy Coconut-Chicken Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Thai flavors of coconut and basil come together in this fresh and spicy chicken and cabbage stir-fry. If your family prefers a milder meal, forgo the jalapeño. Serve with: Rice noodles and mango slices.
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, whites and greens separated
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (see Note)
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 cups sliced napa cabbage
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the wok or pot. Add jalapeño (if using), scallion whites, mushrooms and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant and the mushrooms start to soften, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cabbage, the chicken and scallion greens; cook, stirring constantly, until the cabbage is slightly wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in basil just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce (1,190 mg sodium per tablespoon) in our analyses.
Per serving: 254 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 3 g fiber; 678 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (42% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Folate (21% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2010