From EatingWell: January/February 1991
This spicy sauce, seasoned with plenty of lemon juice, goes well with fish dishes. For grilled meats, add a bit of red-wine vinegar in addition to the lemon juice.
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced Scotch Bonnet pepper, with seeds, or 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh chives, or scallion tops
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Combine onion, garlic, oil, Scotch Bonnet (or jalapeño), parsley, chives (or scallion tops), thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in boiling water and let stand until cool. Stir in lemon juice.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 16 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1991