From EatingWell: January/February 1991
This spicy sauce, seasoned with plenty of lemon juice, goes well with fish dishes. For grilled meats, add a bit of red-wine vinegar in addition to the lemon juice.
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced Scotch Bonnet pepper, with seeds, or 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh chives, or scallion tops
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Combine onion, garlic, oil, Scotch Bonnet (or jalapeño), parsley, chives (or scallion tops), thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in boiling water and let stand until cool. Stir in lemon juice.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 16 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 50 mg sodium; 26 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- January/February 1991