Greek Salad with Sardines for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
The fresh, tangy elements of a Greek salad—tomato, cucumber, feta, olives and lemony vinaigrette—pair well with rich-tasting sardines. Look for sardines with skin and bones (which are edible) as they have more than four times the amount of calcium as skinless, boneless sardines. If you’re lucky enough to have fresh sardines available in your supermarket, try them in place of the canned sardines. Lightly dredge them in salt-and-pepper-seasoned flour and sauté them in a little olive oil. Serve with: Warm pita bread and a cold beer.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 small or 1 large tomato, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 large English cucumber, cut into large chunks
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas (about 2/3 cup), rinsed
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon sliced pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 4-ounce can sardines with bones, packed in olive oil or water, drained
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano and pepper in a medium bowl until well combined. Add tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, feta, onion and olives; gently toss to combine. Divide the salad between 2 plates and top with sardines.
Per serving: 324 calories; 19 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 7 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 588 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium (27% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2010