Greek Salad with Sardines for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
The fresh, tangy elements of a Greek salad—tomato, cucumber, feta, olives and lemony vinaigrette—pair well with rich-tasting sardines. Look for sardines with skin and bones (which are edible) as they have more than four times the amount of calcium as skinless, boneless sardines. If you’re lucky enough to have fresh sardines available in your supermarket, try them in place of the canned sardines. Lightly dredge them in salt-and-pepper-seasoned flour and sauté them in a little olive oil. Serve with: Warm pita bread and a cold beer.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 small or 1 large tomato, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 large English cucumber, cut into large chunks
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas (about 2/3 cup), rinsed
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon sliced pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 4-ounce can sardines with bones, packed in olive oil or water, drained
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano and pepper in a medium bowl until well combined. Add tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, feta, onion and olives; gently toss to combine. Divide the salad between 2 plates and top with sardines.
Per serving: 324 calories; 19 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 7 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 588 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium (27% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2010