Greek Salad with Sardines for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
The fresh, tangy elements of a Greek salad—tomato, cucumber, feta, olives and lemony vinaigrette—pair well with rich-tasting sardines. Look for sardines with skin and bones (which are edible) as they have more than four times the amount of calcium as skinless, boneless sardines. If you’re lucky enough to have fresh sardines available in your supermarket, try them in place of the canned sardines. Lightly dredge them in salt-and-pepper-seasoned flour and sauté them in a little olive oil. Serve with: Warm pita bread and a cold beer.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 small or 1 large tomato, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 large English cucumber, cut into large chunks
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas (about 2/3 cup), rinsed
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon sliced pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 4-ounce can sardines with bones, packed in olive oil or water, drained
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano and pepper in a medium bowl until well combined. Add tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, feta, onion and olives; gently toss to combine. Divide the salad between 2 plates and top with sardines.
Per serving: 324 calories; 19 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 7 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 588 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium (27% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2010