Greek Salad with Sardines for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2010
The fresh, tangy elements of a Greek salad—tomato, cucumber, feta, olives and lemony vinaigrette—pair well with rich-tasting sardines. Look for sardines with skin and bones (which are edible) as they have more than four times the amount of calcium as skinless, boneless sardines. If you’re lucky enough to have fresh sardines available in your supermarket, try them in place of the canned sardines. Lightly dredge them in salt-and-pepper-seasoned flour and sauté them in a little olive oil. Serve with: Warm pita bread and a cold beer.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 small or 1 large tomato, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 large English cucumber, cut into large chunks
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas (about 2/3 cup), rinsed
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon sliced pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 4-ounce can sardines with bones, packed in olive oil or water, drained
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano and pepper in a medium bowl until well combined. Add tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, feta, onion and olives; gently toss to combine. Divide the salad between 2 plates and top with sardines.
Per serving: 324 calories; 19 g fat (4 g sat, 10 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 7 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 588 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium (27% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2010