San Francisco Crab Louis
Crab Louis, a salad of crab, hard-boiled eggs, steamed asparagus and romaine, is a West Coast favorite that has often been called “The King of Salads.” But the king has gotten a bit fat over the years so we put him on a diet. To make our dressing, we combine chili sauce and minced shallot with a modest amount of low-fat mayonnaise with regal results. Long live the King!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, drained, any shells or cartilage removed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place eggs in a large saucepan of cold water; bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the asparagus is bright green, about 3 minutes more. Carefully drain and fill the pan with ice water to cool the eggs and asparagus. Drain again. Peel and slice the eggs; set the asparagus aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk shallot, chili sauce, mayonnaise and scallions in a large bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the dressing in a medium bowl. Add lettuce to the large bowl; toss to combine. Divide the lettuce among 4 large plates.
- Add crab to the reserved dressing; stir gently to combine. Mound 1/2 cup of the crab on each portion of lettuce, arrange some sliced egg and asparagus around it and season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 2) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 310 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 736 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Folate (60% dv), Vitamin C (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient