San Francisco Crab Louis
Crab Louis, a salad of crab, hard-boiled eggs, steamed asparagus and romaine, is a West Coast favorite that has often been called “The King of Salads.” But the king has gotten a bit fat over the years so we put him on a diet. To make our dressing, we combine chili sauce and minced shallot with a modest amount of low-fat mayonnaise with regal results. Long live the King!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, drained, any shells or cartilage removed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place eggs in a large saucepan of cold water; bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the asparagus is bright green, about 3 minutes more. Carefully drain and fill the pan with ice water to cool the eggs and asparagus. Drain again. Peel and slice the eggs; set the asparagus aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk shallot, chili sauce, mayonnaise and scallions in a large bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the dressing in a medium bowl. Add lettuce to the large bowl; toss to combine. Divide the lettuce among 4 large plates.
- Add crab to the reserved dressing; stir gently to combine. Mound 1/2 cup of the crab on each portion of lettuce, arrange some sliced egg and asparagus around it and season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 2) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 310 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 736 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Folate (60% dv), Vitamin C (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient