San Francisco Crab Louis
Crab Louis, a salad of crab, hard-boiled eggs, steamed asparagus and romaine, is a West Coast favorite that has often been called “The King of Salads.” But the king has gotten a bit fat over the years so we put him on a diet. To make our dressing, we combine chili sauce and minced shallot with a modest amount of low-fat mayonnaise with regal results. Long live the King!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, drained, any shells or cartilage removed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place eggs in a large saucepan of cold water; bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the asparagus is bright green, about 3 minutes more. Carefully drain and fill the pan with ice water to cool the eggs and asparagus. Drain again. Peel and slice the eggs; set the asparagus aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk shallot, chili sauce, mayonnaise and scallions in a large bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the dressing in a medium bowl. Add lettuce to the large bowl; toss to combine. Divide the lettuce among 4 large plates.
- Add crab to the reserved dressing; stir gently to combine. Mound 1/2 cup of the crab on each portion of lettuce, arrange some sliced egg and asparagus around it and season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 2) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 310 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 736 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Folate (60% dv), Vitamin C (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient