San Francisco Crab Louis
Crab Louis, a salad of crab, hard-boiled eggs, steamed asparagus and romaine, is a West Coast favorite that has often been called “The King of Salads.” But the king has gotten a bit fat over the years so we put him on a diet. To make our dressing, we combine chili sauce and minced shallot with a modest amount of low-fat mayonnaise with regal results. Long live the King!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, drained, any shells or cartilage removed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place eggs in a large saucepan of cold water; bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the asparagus is bright green, about 3 minutes more. Carefully drain and fill the pan with ice water to cool the eggs and asparagus. Drain again. Peel and slice the eggs; set the asparagus aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk shallot, chili sauce, mayonnaise and scallions in a large bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the dressing in a medium bowl. Add lettuce to the large bowl; toss to combine. Divide the lettuce among 4 large plates.
- Add crab to the reserved dressing; stir gently to combine. Mound 1/2 cup of the crab on each portion of lettuce, arrange some sliced egg and asparagus around it and season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 2) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 310 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 736 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Folate (60% dv), Vitamin C (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation