San Francisco Crab Louis
Crab Louis, a salad of crab, hard-boiled eggs, steamed asparagus and romaine, is a West Coast favorite that has often been called “The King of Salads.” But the king has gotten a bit fat over the years so we put him on a diet. To make our dressing, we combine chili sauce and minced shallot with a modest amount of low-fat mayonnaise with regal results. Long live the King!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, drained, any shells or cartilage removed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place eggs in a large saucepan of cold water; bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the asparagus is bright green, about 3 minutes more. Carefully drain and fill the pan with ice water to cool the eggs and asparagus. Drain again. Peel and slice the eggs; set the asparagus aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk shallot, chili sauce, mayonnaise and scallions in a large bowl. Reserve 1/2 cup of the dressing in a medium bowl. Add lettuce to the large bowl; toss to combine. Divide the lettuce among 4 large plates.
- Add crab to the reserved dressing; stir gently to combine. Mound 1/2 cup of the crab on each portion of lettuce, arrange some sliced egg and asparagus around it and season with pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 2) for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 310 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 736 mg sodium; 450 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Folate (60% dv), Vitamin C (50% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation