Salt & Pepper Sirloin
A simple grilled steak topped with tangy tomatillo salsa is a favorite of EatingWell's Food Editor, Jim Romanoff. Instead of serving a slab of steak, he likes to slice it and fan it on the plates. Not only is it more attractive this way, it is easier to control portion sizes.
- 2 cups Grilled Tomatillo Salsa, (recipe follows)
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Make Grilled Tomatillo Salsa.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Rub steak with oil; season both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Grill the steak until cooked to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer it to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and serve with Grilled Tomatillo Salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The salsa will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 294 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 313 mg sodium; 446 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)