Salt & Pepper Sirloin
A simple grilled steak topped with tangy tomatillo salsa is a favorite of EatingWell's Food Editor, Jim Romanoff. Instead of serving a slab of steak, he likes to slice it and fan it on the plates. Not only is it more attractive this way, it is easier to control portion sizes.
- 2 cups Grilled Tomatillo Salsa, (recipe follows)
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Make Grilled Tomatillo Salsa.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Rub steak with oil; season both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Grill the steak until cooked to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer it to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and serve with Grilled Tomatillo Salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The salsa will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 294 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 313 mg sodium; 446 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique