Salt & Pepper Sirloin
A simple grilled steak topped with tangy tomatillo salsa is a favorite of EatingWell's Food Editor, Jim Romanoff. Instead of serving a slab of steak, he likes to slice it and fan it on the plates. Not only is it more attractive this way, it is easier to control portion sizes.
- 2 cups Grilled Tomatillo Salsa, (recipe follows)
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Make Grilled Tomatillo Salsa.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Rub steak with oil; season both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Grill the steak until cooked to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer it to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and serve with Grilled Tomatillo Salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The salsa will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 294 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 313 mg sodium; 446 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique