Salt & Pepper Sirloin
A simple grilled steak topped with tangy tomatillo salsa is a favorite of EatingWell's Food Editor, Jim Romanoff. Instead of serving a slab of steak, he likes to slice it and fan it on the plates. Not only is it more attractive this way, it is easier to control portion sizes.
- 2 cups Grilled Tomatillo Salsa, (recipe follows)
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Make Grilled Tomatillo Salsa.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Rub steak with oil; season both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Grill the steak until cooked to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer it to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steak thinly across the grain and serve with Grilled Tomatillo Salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The salsa will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Per serving: 294 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 313 mg sodium; 446 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique