From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Here's a homemade version of the tomato salsa served at taco stands and burrito joints everywhere. Try it with all your favorite Mexican foods—it even works as enchilada sauce.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 medium chile peppers, such as poblano, New Mexico or Anaheim, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, diced (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder, or chili powder (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, chile peppers and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down and thickened slightly, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a food processor or blender. Pulse to make a chunky sauce, or until desired consistency. (Use caution when pureeing hot ingredients.)
- Let cool to room temperature, about 11/2 hours. Stir in cilantro and lime juice just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Stir in cilantro and lime juice just before serving.
- Shopping tip: Ancho chile, a dried poblano pepper, is one of the most popular dried chiles used in Mexico. It has a mild, sweet, spicy flavor. Find ground ancho chili powder in the specialty spice section of large supermarkets.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 67 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 409 mg sodium; 393 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
Crock pots aren’t just for stewing big hunks of meat: you can...
Bust out of your lunch rut with our pack-and-go healthy lunch...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2008