From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Here's a homemade version of the tomato salsa served at taco stands and burrito joints everywhere. Try it with all your favorite Mexican foods—it even works as enchilada sauce.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 medium chile peppers, such as poblano, New Mexico or Anaheim, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, diced (about 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder, or chili powder (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, chile peppers and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down and thickened slightly, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the tomato mixture to a food processor or blender. Pulse to make a chunky sauce, or until desired consistency. (Use caution when pureeing hot ingredients.)
- Let cool to room temperature, about 11/2 hours. Stir in cilantro and lime juice just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Stir in cilantro and lime juice just before serving.
- Shopping tip: Ancho chile, a dried poblano pepper, is one of the most popular dried chiles used in Mexico. It has a mild, sweet, spicy flavor. Find ground ancho chili powder in the specialty spice section of large supermarkets.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 67 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 409 mg sodium; 393 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2008