Roast Salmon with Salsa for Two
Fire up the food processor, add a few simple ingredients, and you've got a vibrant-tasting salsa in minutes. Other fish and even chicken or turkey could stand in for the salmon—adjust the roasting time accordingly.
- 1 medium plum tomato, roughly chopped
- 1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and quartered
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 or 3 dashes hot sauce
- 8 ounces center-cut salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip) and cut into 2 portions
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place tomato, onion, garlic, jalapeño, vinegar, chili powder, cumin, salt and hot sauce to taste in a food processor; process until finely chopped and uniform.
- Place salmon in a medium roasting pan; spoon the salsa on top. Roast until the salmon is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The salsa (Step 2) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- Tip: To skin a salmon fillet: Place a fish fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
Per serving: 256 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 362 mg sodium; 545 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin C (20% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation