From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
There are a lot of great salsas available, but the fresh taste of this one makes it worth the small effort involved. The leftovers won’t likely go to waste.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2-4 jalapeño or serrano chiles
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed oil or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, garlic and chiles to taste; cook, turning every few minutes, until the skins are blistered and charred in places, 15 to 20 minutes. The vegetables will cook at different rates. Remove each when it is charred or browned; allow to cool slightly. Peel the garlic, core the tomatoes and stem the peppers.
- Transfer the vegetables to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Heat oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Carefully pour in the puree, season with salt and cook, stirring and scraping up any bits in the pan, until the sauce has thickened somewhat, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 38 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 223 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory