From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
There are a lot of great salsas available, but the fresh taste of this one makes it worth the small effort involved. The leftovers won’t likely go to waste.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2-4 jalapeño or serrano chiles
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed oil or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, garlic and chiles to taste; cook, turning every few minutes, until the skins are blistered and charred in places, 15 to 20 minutes. The vegetables will cook at different rates. Remove each when it is charred or browned; allow to cool slightly. Peel the garlic, core the tomatoes and stem the peppers.
- Transfer the vegetables to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Heat oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Carefully pour in the puree, season with salt and cook, stirring and scraping up any bits in the pan, until the sauce has thickened somewhat, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 38 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 223 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation