From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
There are a lot of great salsas available, but the fresh taste of this one makes it worth the small effort involved. The leftovers won’t likely go to waste.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2-4 jalapeño or serrano chiles
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed oil or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes, garlic and chiles to taste; cook, turning every few minutes, until the skins are blistered and charred in places, 15 to 20 minutes. The vegetables will cook at different rates. Remove each when it is charred or browned; allow to cool slightly. Peel the garlic, core the tomatoes and stem the peppers.
- Transfer the vegetables to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Heat oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Carefully pour in the puree, season with salt and cook, stirring and scraping up any bits in the pan, until the sauce has thickened somewhat, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per serving: 38 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 223 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory