EatingWell reader Chuck Allen of Dana Point, California, contributed this moist vegetable-studded cornbread. It makes a fine accompaniment to stews, chilis and breakfast eggs.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, or equivalent buttermilk powder
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup drained canned corn kernels
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet (or similar ovenproof skillet, see Tip) in the oven to heat.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, butter and honey in a medium bowl. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula. Stir in corn, onion, tomato, garlic and jalapeno.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and coat it with cooking spray. Pour in the batter, spreading evenly. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Bake the cornbread until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: If you do not have an ovenproof skillet of the correct size, use an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish. Do not preheat the empty baking dish in the oven before filling it.
Per serving: 138 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 319 mg sodium; 91 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique