From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Braising kale in salsa and topping it with cheese makes a delightful side dish for your favorite Mexican meal. Different brands of salsa have varying amounts of sodium. Sometimes prepared fresh salsa is the lowest.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch kale, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped (about 16 cups; see Notes)
- 1 cup store-bought salsa, preferably fresh
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup crumbled or shredded Cotija cheese (see Notes) or Mexican-style cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add kale and toss until bright green, about 1 minute. Stir in salsa and water. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
- Cotija cheese, also called queso añejo or queso añejado, is a salty aged Mexican cheese with a crumbly texture. Find it near other specialty cheeses or at Mexican grocery stores.
Per serving: 161 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 459 mg sodium; 649 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (771% daily value), Vitamin C (197% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Potassium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011