From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Braising kale in salsa and topping it with cheese makes a delightful side dish for your favorite Mexican meal. Different brands of salsa have varying amounts of sodium. Sometimes prepared fresh salsa is the lowest.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch kale, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped (about 16 cups; see Notes)
- 1 cup store-bought salsa, preferably fresh
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup crumbled or shredded Cotija cheese (see Notes) or Mexican-style cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add kale and toss until bright green, about 1 minute. Stir in salsa and water. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
- Cotija cheese, also called queso añejo or queso añejado, is a salty aged Mexican cheese with a crumbly texture. Find it near other specialty cheeses or at Mexican grocery stores.
Per serving: 161 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 459 mg sodium; 649 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (771% daily value), Vitamin C (197% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Potassium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011