From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Braising kale in salsa and topping it with cheese makes a delightful side dish for your favorite Mexican meal. Different brands of salsa have varying amounts of sodium. Sometimes prepared fresh salsa is the lowest.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch kale, tough stems removed, coarsely chopped (about 16 cups; see Notes)
- 1 cup store-bought salsa, preferably fresh
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup crumbled or shredded Cotija cheese (see Notes) or Mexican-style cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add kale and toss until bright green, about 1 minute. Stir in salsa and water. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
- Cotija cheese, also called queso añejo or queso añejado, is a salty aged Mexican cheese with a crumbly texture. Find it near other specialty cheeses or at Mexican grocery stores.
Per serving: 161 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 459 mg sodium; 649 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (771% daily value), Vitamin C (197% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Potassium (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2011