Salmon with Pepita-Lime Butter for Two
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
Lime juice, chili powder and pepitas give this salmon Mexican flair. Serve with wild rice and steamed vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted pepitas, (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 ounces salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip) and cut into 2 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Toast pepitas (see Tip). Place in a small bowl with butter, lime zest, lime juice and chili powder.
- Generously coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper, add to the pan and cook until browned and just cooked through in the center, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the pan from the heat. Transfer the salmon to a plate. Add the butter-lime mixture to the hot pan; stir until the butter is melted. Serve the salmon topped with the sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds) can be found in the bulk-foods section of natural-foods stores or Mexican groceries.
- Place a salmon fillet on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
- Place pepitas in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 267 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 360 mg sodium; 458 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Excellent source of omega-3s.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- November/December 2008