Salmon with Cucumbers & Dill
Seared first to add color and flavor, the salmon is then combined with braised cucumbers--an unexpected yet delicious way to enjoy that vegetable's subtle taste.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 3/4 pounds salmon fillet, preferably center-cut, skin removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 seedless cucumbers, (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge salmon pieces in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the salmon and sauté until lightly browned on the outside but still pink inside, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and return to the heat. Sauté the remaining salmon and transfer to the plate.
- Wipe out the pan again and add cucumbers, broth and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer until the cucumbers are tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and boil until the pan juices are reduced to 2 tablespoons, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the reserved salmon and dill to the pan, cover and simmer just until the salmon is opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Garnish with dill sprigs and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 240 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 821 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (86% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)