Salmon with Cucumbers & Dill
Seared first to add color and flavor, the salmon is then combined with braised cucumbers--an unexpected yet delicious way to enjoy that vegetable's subtle taste.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 3/4 pounds salmon fillet, preferably center-cut, skin removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 seedless cucumbers, (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge salmon pieces in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the salmon and sauté until lightly browned on the outside but still pink inside, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and return to the heat. Sauté the remaining salmon and transfer to the plate.
- Wipe out the pan again and add cucumbers, broth and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer until the cucumbers are tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and boil until the pan juices are reduced to 2 tablespoons, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the reserved salmon and dill to the pan, cover and simmer just until the salmon is opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Garnish with dill sprigs and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 240 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 821 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (86% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique