Salmon with Cucumbers & Dill
Seared first to add color and flavor, the salmon is then combined with braised cucumbers--an unexpected yet delicious way to enjoy that vegetable's subtle taste.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 3/4 pounds salmon fillet, preferably center-cut, skin removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 seedless cucumbers, (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge salmon pieces in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the salmon and sauté until lightly browned on the outside but still pink inside, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and return to the heat. Sauté the remaining salmon and transfer to the plate.
- Wipe out the pan again and add cucumbers, broth and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer until the cucumbers are tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and boil until the pan juices are reduced to 2 tablespoons, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the reserved salmon and dill to the pan, cover and simmer just until the salmon is opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Garnish with dill sprigs and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 240 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 821 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (86% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique