Salmon with Cucumbers & Dill
Seared first to add color and flavor, the salmon is then combined with braised cucumbers--an unexpected yet delicious way to enjoy that vegetable's subtle taste.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 3/4 pounds salmon fillet, preferably center-cut, skin removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 seedless cucumbers, (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge salmon pieces in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the salmon and sauté until lightly browned on the outside but still pink inside, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and return to the heat. Sauté the remaining salmon and transfer to the plate.
- Wipe out the pan again and add cucumbers, broth and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer until the cucumbers are tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and boil until the pan juices are reduced to 2 tablespoons, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the reserved salmon and dill to the pan, cover and simmer just until the salmon is opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Garnish with dill sprigs and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 240 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 821 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (86% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual