Salmon with Cucumbers & Dill
Seared first to add color and flavor, the salmon is then combined with braised cucumbers--an unexpected yet delicious way to enjoy that vegetable's subtle taste.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 3/4 pounds salmon fillet, preferably center-cut, skin removed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 seedless cucumbers, (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge salmon pieces in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the salmon and sauté until lightly browned on the outside but still pink inside, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and return to the heat. Sauté the remaining salmon and transfer to the plate.
- Wipe out the pan again and add cucumbers, broth and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer until the cucumbers are tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and boil until the pan juices are reduced to 2 tablespoons, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the reserved salmon and dill to the pan, cover and simmer just until the salmon is opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Garnish with dill sprigs and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 240 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 164 mg sodium; 821 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (86% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual