Seared Salmon with Sugar Snap-Fennel Slaw
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
A light and summery snap pea-and-fennel slaw makes a crisp bed for the seared salmon in this healthy dinner recipe. The delicate fennel fronds add more mild licorice flavor to the dish.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 large fennel bulb, with fronds
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 1/4 pounds wild Alaskan salmon, skinned
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- Combine lemon juice, 2 1/2 tablespoons oil, shallot, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Set aside 4 teaspoons of the dressing in a small bowl.
- Slice top off fennel bulb. Chop 2 tablespoons of the fronds and add to the large bowl. (Reserve remaining fronds for garnish.) Halve, core and thinly slice the bulb. Thinly slice snap peas into long matchsticks. Toss the fennel and peas with the dressing in the large bowl; let stand while you cook the salmon.
- Cut salmon into 4 portions and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook for 2 minutes. Gently turn and continue cooking until just opaque in the center, 2 to 4 minutes more.
- Divide the slaw and salmon among 4 plates. Drizzle each portion with 1 teaspoon of the reserved dressing and top with 1/2 teaspoon chives and fennel fronds, if desired.
Per serving: 308 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 539 mg sodium; 889 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (100% daily value), Vitamin C (68% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Omega-3s
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014