Seared Salmon with Sugar Snap-Fennel Slaw
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
A light and summery snap pea-and-fennel slaw makes a crisp bed for the seared salmon in this healthy dinner recipe. The delicate fennel fronds add more mild licorice flavor to the dish.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 large fennel bulb, with fronds
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 1/4 pounds wild Alaskan salmon, skinned
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- Combine lemon juice, 2 1/2 tablespoons oil, shallot, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Set aside 4 teaspoons of the dressing in a small bowl.
- Slice top off fennel bulb. Chop 2 tablespoons of the fronds and add to the large bowl. (Reserve remaining fronds for garnish.) Halve, core and thinly slice the bulb. Thinly slice snap peas into long matchsticks. Toss the fennel and peas with the dressing in the large bowl; let stand while you cook the salmon.
- Cut salmon into 4 portions and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook for 2 minutes. Gently turn and continue cooking until just opaque in the center, 2 to 4 minutes more.
- Divide the slaw and salmon among 4 plates. Drizzle each portion with 1 teaspoon of the reserved dressing and top with 1/2 teaspoon chives and fennel fronds, if desired.
Per serving: 308 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 539 mg sodium; 889 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (100% daily value), Vitamin C (68% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Omega-3s
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2014