Seared Salmon with Sugar Snap-Fennel Slaw
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
A light and summery snap pea-and-fennel slaw makes a crisp bed for the seared salmon in this healthy dinner recipe. The delicate fennel fronds add more mild licorice flavor to the dish.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 large fennel bulb, with fronds
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 1/4 pounds wild Alaskan salmon, skinned
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- Combine lemon juice, 2 1/2 tablespoons oil, shallot, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Set aside 4 teaspoons of the dressing in a small bowl.
- Slice top off fennel bulb. Chop 2 tablespoons of the fronds and add to the large bowl. (Reserve remaining fronds for garnish.) Halve, core and thinly slice the bulb. Thinly slice snap peas into long matchsticks. Toss the fennel and peas with the dressing in the large bowl; let stand while you cook the salmon.
- Cut salmon into 4 portions and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the salmon and cook for 2 minutes. Gently turn and continue cooking until just opaque in the center, 2 to 4 minutes more.
- Divide the slaw and salmon among 4 plates. Drizzle each portion with 1 teaspoon of the reserved dressing and top with 1/2 teaspoon chives and fennel fronds, if desired.
Per serving: 308 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 30 g protein; 3 g fiber; 539 mg sodium; 889 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin B12 (100% daily value), Vitamin C (68% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv), Omega-3s
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014