Salmon Sandwiches with Japanese Flavors
From EatingWell: May/June 1996
Most canned salmon is wild, making it a sustainable and convenient choice. The Japanese flavors in the spread are the perfect foil for meaty salmon.
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 7-ounce can salmon, drained, picked over and flaked, or 1 cup flaked cooked salmon fillet
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1/4 teaspoon wasabi powder, (optional)
- 8 slices slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 1/2 cups radish sprouts
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, lemon juice, soy sauce, ginger and sugar. Fold in salmon, celery and scallions.
- If using wasabi, mix it into the remaining 1 tablespoon mayonnaise; spread over the bread. Spoon the salmon salad over 4 of the bread slices, spreading evenly. Top with sprouts. Set the remaining bread slices on top.
Per serving: 253 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 44 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 4 g fiber; 582 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Calcium (21% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 1996