Salmon Salad Bento Lunch
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Watercress acts as a tasty divider between the salmon salad and crackers. Multicolored peppers and grapes add color to this bento and boost your daily servings of fruits and veggies.
- 1/2 cup boneless, skinless canned salmon, flaked (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced red onion, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon rinsed and chopped capers
- 1/2 cup watercress, tough stems removed
- 1 ounce small whole-grain crackers, (about 16)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, such as bell peppers and carrots, cut into sticks
- 1 cup mixed grapes
- Combine salmon, oil, lemon juice, olives, red onion, parsley and capers in a small bowl.
- Pack the salmon salad, watercress and crackers in one medium container.
- Fill another medium container with vegetables and grapes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salad (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 527 calories; 27 g fat (4 g sat, 14 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 7 g fiber; 695 mg sodium; 762 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (240% daily value), Vitamin C (180% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 2009