Salmon Salad Bento Lunch
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Watercress acts as a tasty divider between the salmon salad and crackers. Multicolored peppers and grapes add color to this bento and boost your daily servings of fruits and veggies.
- 1/2 cup boneless, skinless canned salmon, flaked (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced red onion, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon rinsed and chopped capers
- 1/2 cup watercress, tough stems removed
- 1 ounce small whole-grain crackers, (about 16)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, such as bell peppers and carrots, cut into sticks
- 1 cup mixed grapes
- Combine salmon, oil, lemon juice, olives, red onion, parsley and capers in a small bowl.
- Pack the salmon salad, watercress and crackers in one medium container.
- Fill another medium container with vegetables and grapes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the salad (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 527 calories; 27 g fat (4 g sat, 14 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 7 g fiber; 695 mg sodium; 762 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (240% daily value), Vitamin C (180% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2009