From EatingWell: January/February 2010
Convenient frozen hash browns and flaked salmon come together for a twist on this traditional Swiss favorite. We love the creamy dill sauce, but a dollop of ketchup is tasty too. Serve with: Steamed green beans tossed with sliced scallions, Dijon mustard and lemon juice.
- 2 6- to 7-ounce cans boneless, skinless wild Alaskan salmon, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 3 teaspoons dried, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups frozen hash-brown shredded potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine salmon, onion, eggs and egg white, mustard, 2 tablespoons fresh dill (or 2 teaspoons dried), pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add potatoes and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Fill a 1-cup measure two-thirds full with the salmon mixture and firmly pack it down. Unmold into the pan and pat to form a 3-inch cake. Repeat, making 3 more cakes. Cover and cook until browned on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Gently turn over and cook, covered, until crispy on the other side, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer the cakes to a baking dish; keep warm in the oven. Wipe out the skillet and cook 4 more cakes with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining salmon mixture.
- Combine sour cream, capers, lemon juice and the remaining dill in a small bowl. Serve the salmon cakes with the dill sauce.
Per serving: 317 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 143 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 559 mg sodium; 605 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (17% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv), source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Other European
- January/February 2010