From EatingWell: January/February 2010
Convenient frozen hash browns and flaked salmon come together for a twist on this traditional Swiss favorite. We love the creamy dill sauce, but a dollop of ketchup is tasty too. Serve with: Steamed green beans tossed with sliced scallions, Dijon mustard and lemon juice.
- 2 6- to 7-ounce cans boneless, skinless wild Alaskan salmon, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 3 teaspoons dried, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups frozen hash-brown shredded potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine salmon, onion, eggs and egg white, mustard, 2 tablespoons fresh dill (or 2 teaspoons dried), pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add potatoes and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Fill a 1-cup measure two-thirds full with the salmon mixture and firmly pack it down. Unmold into the pan and pat to form a 3-inch cake. Repeat, making 3 more cakes. Cover and cook until browned on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Gently turn over and cook, covered, until crispy on the other side, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer the cakes to a baking dish; keep warm in the oven. Wipe out the skillet and cook 4 more cakes with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining salmon mixture.
- Combine sour cream, capers, lemon juice and the remaining dill in a small bowl. Serve the salmon cakes with the dill sauce.
Per serving: 317 calories; 18 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 143 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 2 g fiber; 559 mg sodium; 605 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (17% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv), source of omega-3s.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Main Ingredient
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2010