Salmon over Warm Lentil, Apple & Walnut Salad
From EatingWell: April 1998
Broiled salmon nestles on top of a warm apple-studded lentil salad and a simple sauce made with pureed lentils and their cooking liquid. Serve with sautéed spinach or chard.
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 cup French green lentils, (see Note)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 medium onion,halved
- 1 carrot, halved
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 parsley stems, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip) and cut into 6 portions
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly, ground
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- To prepare lentil salad: Combine 2 cups water and lentils in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Drain and return the lentils to the pan.
- Add remaining 4 cups water, wine, onion, carrot and garlic to the pan. Tie thyme sprigs, parsley stems, cloves and bay leaf in a cheesecloth bag and add to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes more. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid. Discard the cheesecloth bag. Cut carrot and onion into 1/4-inch dice.
- Place the reserved liquid and 1/2 cup of the cooked lentils in a blender or food processor; puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Place 1/2 cup of the puree in a large bowl; mix in the remaining lentils, diced carrot, onion and olive oil. Scrape the remaining puree into a small saucepan.
- Peel, core and finely dice apple. Stir apple, walnuts and parsley into the lentil-carrot mixture. Cover and keep warm.
- To broil salmon: Preheat broiler. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Brush both sides of salmon with canola oil and season each side with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place on the prepared baking sheet and lay 1 thyme sprig over each fillet. Broil 6 inches from the flame without turning just until opaque in the center, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the reserved lentil puree. Make a bed of the lentil salad on 6 plates and spoon the lentil puree around the outside. Place the salmon on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: French green lentils are firmer than brown lentils and cook more quickly. They can be found in natural-foods stores and some supermarkets.
- Tips: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- How to skin a salmon fillet: Place salmon fillet on a clean cutting board, skin-side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
Per serving: 409 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 821 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin A (38% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- One dish meals
- April 1998
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique