Salmon over Warm Lentil, Apple & Walnut Salad
From EatingWell: April 1998
Broiled salmon nestles on top of a warm apple-studded lentil salad and a simple sauce made with pureed lentils and their cooking liquid. Serve with sautéed spinach or chard.
- 6 cups water, divided
- 1 cup French green lentils, (see Note)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 medium onion,halved
- 1 carrot, halved
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 parsley stems, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip) and cut into 6 portions
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly, ground
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- To prepare lentil salad: Combine 2 cups water and lentils in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Drain and return the lentils to the pan.
- Add remaining 4 cups water, wine, onion, carrot and garlic to the pan. Tie thyme sprigs, parsley stems, cloves and bay leaf in a cheesecloth bag and add to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes more. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid. Discard the cheesecloth bag. Cut carrot and onion into 1/4-inch dice.
- Place the reserved liquid and 1/2 cup of the cooked lentils in a blender or food processor; puree until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Place 1/2 cup of the puree in a large bowl; mix in the remaining lentils, diced carrot, onion and olive oil. Scrape the remaining puree into a small saucepan.
- Peel, core and finely dice apple. Stir apple, walnuts and parsley into the lentil-carrot mixture. Cover and keep warm.
- To broil salmon: Preheat broiler. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Brush both sides of salmon with canola oil and season each side with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place on the prepared baking sheet and lay 1 thyme sprig over each fillet. Broil 6 inches from the flame without turning just until opaque in the center, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the reserved lentil puree. Make a bed of the lentil salad on 6 plates and spoon the lentil puree around the outside. Place the salmon on top. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: French green lentils are firmer than brown lentils and cook more quickly. They can be found in natural-foods stores and some supermarkets.
- Tips: To toast chopped walnuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- How to skin a salmon fillet: Place salmon fillet on a clean cutting board, skin-side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
Per serving: 409 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber; 282 mg sodium; 821 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin A (38% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- One dish meals
- April 1998