Salmon on a Bed of Lentils
Simmered with carrots, turnips and thyme, the lentils make a lovely, hearty bed for the salmon fillets, which are gently cooked on top of them for easy one-dish preparation. Green (Le Puy) lentils are smaller and more delicate than other varieties and hold their shape better during cooking.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 small onion, peeled and studded with a clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 small white turnips, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 30 seconds. Add broth, lentils, onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender, 25 minutes.
- Add carrots and turnips; simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes more. Remove the onion. Add more broth if necessary; the mixture should be slightly soupy. Taste and adjust seasonings. Lay salmon fillets on top, cover the pan and cook until the salmon is opaque in the center, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls, garnished with parsley and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 382 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 9 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 1142 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Potassium (56% dv), Fiber (36% dv), Vitamin C(20% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique