Salmon on a Bed of Lentils
Simmered with carrots, turnips and thyme, the lentils make a lovely, hearty bed for the salmon fillets, which are gently cooked on top of them for easy one-dish preparation. Green (Le Puy) lentils are smaller and more delicate than other varieties and hold their shape better during cooking.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 small onion, peeled and studded with a clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 small white turnips, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 30 seconds. Add broth, lentils, onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender, 25 minutes.
- Add carrots and turnips; simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes more. Remove the onion. Add more broth if necessary; the mixture should be slightly soupy. Taste and adjust seasonings. Lay salmon fillets on top, cover the pan and cook until the salmon is opaque in the center, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls, garnished with parsley and lemon wedges.
Per serving: 382 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 9 g fiber; 342 mg sodium; 1142 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Potassium (56% dv), Fiber (36% dv), Vitamin C(20% dv), Iron (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique