Salmon in Rice-Paper Wrappers
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Rice papers are handy wrappers, commonly used in Vietnamese cooking. You can buy them at Asian markets or large supermarkets. They keep indefinitely on your pantry shelf.
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus 12 sprigs
- 2 teaspoons rice-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 8-inch rice papers, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 pound salmon fillet, about 3/4-inch-thick, skin removed, cut into 4 portions
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Toast sesame seeds in a small dry skillet, stirring, over medium heat, until golden and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir together soy sauce, scallions, chopped cilantro, vinegar, ginger, sugar and the sesame seeds in a small bowl.
- Fill a large bowl with very hot water. Working with one sheet at a time, dip rice papers in water until completely softened, about 10 seconds. Place on a towel to drain. Arrange 3 cilantro sprigs attractively in the center of each rice paper. Season salmon with pepper and place over the cilantro sprigs. Fold the rice paper over the salmon to enclose it.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place the salmon packages in the skillet, seam-side down, and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Turn and cook for 1 1/2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 2 minutes then serve with the dipping sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Rice papers are handy wrappers, commonly used in Vietnamese cooking. You can buy them at Asian markets, large supermarkets or order them through the mail. They keep indefinitely on your pantry shelf.
Per serving: 291 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 586 mg sodium; 448 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994