Poached Salmon with Fresh Herb Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Gently cooking salmon in a savory broth keeps the fish moist and tender. Serve it warm or chilled with the salad of fresh herbs.
- 1 1/4 pounds wild Alaskan salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 1 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt, divided
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- Season salmon with 1 teaspoon salt. Bring wine, water, peppercorns and crushed red pepper to a simmer in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat so the liquid is steaming, but not bubbling. Place the salmon in the steaming liquid (the fillets will fit tightly) and cook very gently until just cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes. Remove the salmon from the liquid.
- Toss mint and parsley leaves, shallot, oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a medium bowl. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Drizzle the salmon with the remaining lemon juice and serve with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Poach salmon (Step 1) and refrigerate in poaching liquid for up to 1 day. Drain; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 262 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 692 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (36% dv), Potassium (20% dv), omega-3s
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012