Salmon & Cucumber Mini Smørrebrød (Smørrebrød med Røget Laks og Agurker)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Crunchy cucumber, fresh dill and gravlax top thinly sliced rye bread for a delightful Danish appetizer. Smørrebrød which translates in Danish to "buttered bread" are endlessly creative open-face sandwiches, meant to be eaten with a knife and fork as a light meal. Here we make appetizer-size smørrebrød, perfect for entertaining.
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt, (preferably Greek-style)
- 16 slices cocktail-size thin rye or pumpernickel bread
- 16 slices cucumber
- 16 small sprigs fresh dill
- 16 slices Scandinavian-style cured salmon, (gravad lax) or smoked salmon
- Combine sour cream and yogurt in a small bowl. Top each slice of bread with a slice of cucumber, 1 teaspoon of the sour cream mixture, a sprig of dill and a slice of salmon.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Ingredient Note: Greek-style yogurt is made by removing the whey from cultured milk. Removing the whey gives it an extra thick and creamy texture—making it the perfect ingredient for a lower-fat dessert topping. You can strain regular yogurt to make it thick like Greek-style yogurt. Line a sieve with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. (Alternatively, use a coffee filter lined with filter paper.) Spoon in 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt and let it drain in the refrigerator until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 2 hours.
Per 2 pieces: 91 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 288 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2008