Salmon with Toasted Israeli Couscous
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
You need only one skillet for this meal of wild salmon fillets and Israeli couscous pilaf. For added fiber, look for Israeli couscous made with whole-wheat flour. Serve with roasted carrots and broccoli with cumin.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Israeli couscous (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/4 pounds wild Alaskan salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 lemon wedges
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add couscous, bell pepper, pistachios, shallot and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the couscous is lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Stir in water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon each parsley and oregano.
- Sprinkle salmon with pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place the salmon on top of the couscous, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the salmon is cooked through and the water is absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve garnished with herbs, if desired, and lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Look for Israeli couscous (sometimes called “pearl couscous” because of its larger granules) near other couscous or pasta in well-stocked supermarkets.
Per serving: 413 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 3 g fiber; 368 mg sodium; 767 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (54% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2012