We combine convenient, omega-3-rich canned salmon with frozen hash browns, chopped capers, scallions and just enough egg white and low-fat mayo to make healthy, delicious salmon cakes. We pan-fry them on one side in a small amount of oil, flip them and then finish in a hot oven. The result is light and crispy.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 7-ounce can wild salmon, (see Ingredient Note), drained, picked over and flaked
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons drained capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 scallion, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Partially mash potatoes in a bowl with a fork until they begin to hold together. Add salmon, egg white, mayonnaise, capers, scallion, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 4 cakes, each about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the salmon cakes and cook until browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully turn the cakes over with a spatula and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until heated through and golden brown on the second side, 5 to 7 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (Alaska, California, Washington and Oregon) is considered the best choice for the environment. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch (mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp).
Per serving: 311 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 785 mg sodium; 598 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique