We combine convenient, omega-3-rich canned salmon with frozen hash browns, chopped capers, scallions and just enough egg white and low-fat mayo to make healthy, delicious salmon cakes. We pan-fry them on one side in a small amount of oil, flip them and then finish in a hot oven. The result is light and crispy.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 7-ounce can wild salmon, (see Ingredient Note), drained, picked over and flaked
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons drained capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 scallion, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Partially mash potatoes in a bowl with a fork until they begin to hold together. Add salmon, egg white, mayonnaise, capers, scallion, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 4 cakes, each about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the salmon cakes and cook until browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully turn the cakes over with a spatula and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until heated through and golden brown on the second side, 5 to 7 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (Alaska, California, Washington and Oregon) is considered the best choice for the environment. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch (mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp).
Per serving: 311 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 785 mg sodium; 598 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood