We combine convenient, omega-3-rich canned salmon with frozen hash browns, chopped capers, scallions and just enough egg white and low-fat mayo to make healthy, delicious salmon cakes. We pan-fry them on one side in a small amount of oil, flip them and then finish in a hot oven. The result is light and crispy.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 7-ounce can wild salmon, (see Ingredient Note), drained, picked over and flaked
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons drained capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 scallion, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Partially mash potatoes in a bowl with a fork until they begin to hold together. Add salmon, egg white, mayonnaise, capers, scallion, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 4 cakes, each about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the salmon cakes and cook until browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully turn the cakes over with a spatula and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until heated through and golden brown on the second side, 5 to 7 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (Alaska, California, Washington and Oregon) is considered the best choice for the environment. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch (mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp).
Per serving: 311 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 3 g fiber; 785 mg sodium; 598 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (23% daily value), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique