Salami & Spinach Stromboli
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Traditional stromboli recipes are stuffed with tons of mozzarella cheese and Italian cured meats. In this healthy stromboli recipe we fill whole-wheat pizza dough with plenty of spinach and a judicious amount of salami: the results are still delicious. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 ounces thinly sliced salami (about 10 slices)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Position a rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine tomato paste and garlic in a small bowl. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle approximately 14 by 10 inches. Spread the tomato paste mixture over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Place a layer of salami on the tomato paste; top with cheese and spinach. Starting at a long side, roll the dough into a cylinder. Pinch both ends shut to contain the filling. Using two spatulas, carefully transfer the stromboli to the prepared baking sheet, placing it seam-side down. Brush oil over the stromboli.
- Bake until the crust is beginning to brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into 5 portions.
Per serving: 327 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 786 mg sodium; 457 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012