Salami & Spinach Stromboli
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Traditional stromboli recipes are stuffed with tons of mozzarella cheese and Italian cured meats. In this healthy stromboli recipe we fill whole-wheat pizza dough with plenty of spinach and a judicious amount of salami: the results are still delicious. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 ounces thinly sliced salami (about 10 slices)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Position a rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine tomato paste and garlic in a small bowl. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle approximately 14 by 10 inches. Spread the tomato paste mixture over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Place a layer of salami on the tomato paste; top with cheese and spinach. Starting at a long side, roll the dough into a cylinder. Pinch both ends shut to contain the filling. Using two spatulas, carefully transfer the stromboli to the prepared baking sheet, placing it seam-side down. Brush oil over the stromboli.
- Bake until the crust is beginning to brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into 5 portions.
Per serving: 327 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 786 mg sodium; 457 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012