Salami & Spinach Stromboli
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Traditional stromboli recipes are stuffed with tons of mozzarella cheese and Italian cured meats. In this healthy stromboli recipe we fill whole-wheat pizza dough with plenty of spinach and a judicious amount of salami: the results are still delicious. Serve with your favorite marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 ounces thinly sliced salami (about 10 slices)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Position a rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine tomato paste and garlic in a small bowl. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle approximately 14 by 10 inches. Spread the tomato paste mixture over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Place a layer of salami on the tomato paste; top with cheese and spinach. Starting at a long side, roll the dough into a cylinder. Pinch both ends shut to contain the filling. Using two spatulas, carefully transfer the stromboli to the prepared baking sheet, placing it seam-side down. Brush oil over the stromboli.
- Bake until the crust is beginning to brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into 5 portions.
Per serving: 327 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 786 mg sodium; 457 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (35% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012