Salad of White Beans & Greens (Fasolia me Horta)
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
During the weeks before Easter, the women and children of Hydra collect basketfuls of the wild greens that grow on the hillsides. The greens are used in salads and soups.
- 8 ounces dried white beans, such as cannellini or great northern (10 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds greens, such as Swiss chard, beet, spinach, collard or mustard, stems trimmed, well washed (12 cups)
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red- or white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup Greek black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sort beans, discarding any debris. Rinse and place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and let soak for at least 8 hours or overnight. (Alternatively, place beans in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 1 hour.) Drain beans and place in a large saucepan. Cover with fresh water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes, adding water if necessary. Drain and refresh with cold water. Set aside.
- With the water still clinging to the leaves, place greens in a large pot. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, pressing out as much liquid as possible. Roughly chop.
- Combine onions, vinegar and sugar in a small, nonreactive saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Immediately, remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Combine the reserved beans, greens, onion mixture and remaining ingredients in a large serving bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day in advance. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 119 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 595 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (86% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Iron (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (119 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (75 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)